The Lifestyle Health & Wellness (LHW) department is dedicated to restoring the health and well-being of our people through our connection to land, culture, and relationships, including one’s relationship to Self.
Our LHW programs, Providers, and community workers address the types of physical activities and foods we enjoy, provide behavioral health care services to support the whole family unit in practical and individualized ways, as well as address overall physical, emotional, and spiritual health promotion opportunities that are inclusive of one’s cultural values and practices.
- Clinical Assessment, Screening, Consultations & Diagnostic Evaluations
- Psycho educational groups (chronic pain management)
- Individual Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Couples and Mental Therapy
- Tele-Behavioral Health with Dr. Darryl Salvador, Psy. D.
- School-based substance abuse groups
- Substance Abuse Counseling – coming soon
- Case Management
HEALTH COACHING & PREVENTION
- Ha’e Hu’ola Diabetes Prevention: learn healthy lifestyle habits around nutrition and physical exercise with our Lifestyle Coach & our partners at Na Pu’uwai Native Hawaiian Health System. For more information on the program and eligibility to participate, contact our Lifestyle Coach, Kristen Borden at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-660-2579.
CULTURAL HEALTHCARE & NATIVE HAWAIIAN HEALING:
- Ka Hana Pono: “the practice of being pono” provides a pragmatic set of tools for understanding and making the practice of pono a part of your daily life with a focus on healing the body through la’au lapa’au, ‘ai pono and lomi lomi massage and healing the mind and spirit with Ho’oponopono. To learn more about cultural health care coordination and upcoming programs and workshops with our Cultural Health Care Coordinator, Colin Wills, M.Nutr, please contact Colin at email@example.com or by phone at 808-660-2595.
A person’s health care is composed of physical, emotional/behavioral, and spiritual components. Medical problems or conditions can affect us psychologically and good physical health is difficult to maintain if emotional and mental needs are not taken care of. Therefore, behavioral health/behavioral medicine, motivational coaches, and cultural practitioners are made available to patients as a part of good overall healthcare. These services offer assistance when habits, behaviors, stress, worry, or emotional concerns about physical or other life problems interfere with someone’s daily life.
Our LHW providers can help reduce symptoms associated with various chronic medical conditions, such as migraine and tension headaches, obesity, diabetes, asthma, COPD, hypertension, pain disorders and cardiovascular disease. Programs for smoking cessation, weight loss, alcohol/ other drug use, parenting, chronic pain management or other lifestyle modifications are also offered either through group or individual sessions Providers also address other emotional or behavioral problems such as family or relationship difficulties, excess stress, grief/loss, depression, anxiety or anger that may be negatively impacting an individual’s personal/family life, school, social history and work.
Primary care providers, local agencies, and individuals are all able to refer and/or make an appointment for behavioral health treatment and program services by calling (808) 553-5038.
At intake (your first appointment), the behavioral health consultant will ask you specific questions about your physical symptoms, medical/psychiatric history, any emotional concerns you are experiencing, your behaviors, and how all of these might be related. Social, family, and cultural factors will also be reviewed. Appointments will generally last from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the individual identified needs of the patient. Behavioral health providers frequently work closely with primary care physicians as needed to develop and implement the best integrated health treatment plan with you!